Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Things that happened last week:

As well as accidentally nearly being cast in a Specsavers advert, I:

Did some stuff for a corporate video, which turned out to be surprisingly quite good fun.
Had to make a verbal pitch for a film like in 'The Player'.
Was chased around London by powercuts.
Heard what a man trapped in a lift in a powercut actually sounds like (not that bothered, it turns out).
Saw Superman Returns, and thought it was cracking, apart from the end which dragged a bit.
Kissed PEANUT's Aunty.*


Now I know which bit everyone wants to hear more about, so here goes:

What happened was, I had to go into this office building for a meeting, only because of the powercuts, they couldn't put me though on the phone, so I had to hang about in the foyer, where loads of very attractive people were hanging round, including at least three women who looked as though they'd been drawn by one of those people who do faux-Seventies greetings card designs, you know, all weird angles and flicky hair. And eventually a woman with a clipboard came over and said 'are you here for the casting?' (only to be honest she had a bit of a doubtful tone), and I nearly said yes for a laugh, then remembered I'm a bit busy at the mo, so said 'no thank you, I am a writer' and sat down. And a bit later I had to get up again and ask what the casting was for (I wanted to see what demographic I fitted into) and she said 'Specsavers' and I said 'oh'.

And when I turned round, one of the model women was sitting in my chair and was carefully avoiding eye contact (she looked the type franky, technically very attractive but clearly had the soul of quite a nasty kind of beetle). So I had to stand up for a while, but I didn't mind, as a male model came in a bit later and this bit conversation ACTUALLY HAPPENED:

CLIPBOARD LADY: Could you sign this form please?

Male Model stares at the form for quite a while. Finally:

MALE MODEL: What, all of it?
CLIPBOARD LADY: Yes please.

Another quite long pause.

MALE MODEL: (doubtfully) Well I can do my name....

Clipboard lady sighs heavily.




Anyway, it was a good week, but gosh my whiteboard is full! I have a lot of processing and filtering to do, oh yes.


Also, 'hurrah!'

21 comments:

Johanna said...

Bloody Hell! There has been a general explosion of the "blogosphere" crossing over into the real world lately and I'm not sure I like it. Hmmm. So tell us more then.

Abaculus said...

Should've gone to the Specsavers advert casting.

I missed the London power cuts because I was in Braintree. Were they exciting? Did people bring out candles and acoustic guitars and make 'WooOOOOoooOOO!!!' noises?

Anonymous said...

well, well, well.
didnt you say you were "working"?

Anonymous said...

Spill. The. Beans. It's your duty as a blogger...

Miss Moon said...

Well done!!! You just have to be careful what you say now, I guess. Last time I went on a date Red, Sugar, All About Soap and Inside Soap knew all about it. I can only imagine the power your blog holds...

patroclus said...

I'm hoping for a write-up in Wired.

Anonymous said...

Goodness me, everyones at it.

*jumps ship to Spinserella's blog for a bit*

*or possibly to London to dig up some Red Pillarboxes on Baker Street*

Jools said...

OOh blimey you're quite right everyone's at IT! There is hope for me yet, maybe there's a nice wee blogger out there for me (sexy, solvent men only please)if only my fave celeb turned out to be a secret blogger, I could be in ecstasy...come on James, more info please, especially for us singlies who haven't had a snog for months, we live our lives through yours, you did know that didn't you?

surly girl said...

i believe that snogging a fellow blogger is VERY in this season (actually, the fact that pats said that very thing on LC's blog is now starting to make sense). stealing someone's husband is SO 2004. thank goodness for that. it might be safe for me to get married again.

oh, and warmest congratulations and all that.

Urban Chick said...

ah...

and: aw!!!!!

really must pay more attention in future

*raps back of own hand*

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, turn your back for 4 seconds and everyone is falling in love. Aren't there bloggers protool rules about this sort of shenanigans. Going public too - will wait for the inevitable OK centre page spread.

Spinsterella said...

I do hope you asked for Peanut's approval first, young man???

James Henry said...

Yes, but I didn't understand what he said - his voice is very high pitched and squeaky in real life.

Anyway, tush and fibble, there shall be no gossip here, I am far too discreet and gentlemanly. Also I am waiting for a serious financial offer, perhaps from the Observer lifestyle section, where I can nestle between Mariella and Nigel.

Actually, ew, gross.

Anonymous said...

Am very disorientated now. Checked in to read about latest laptop problems, trips to London, pant eating dogs, tales of writing but now thoroughly confused about kissing peanuts. Head is hurting trying to unravel – will go back to reading books.

James Henry said...

PATROCLUS is PEANUT'S LUVVLY ARENTY.

I hope that makes things clearer. Also, books are great, good choice anonymous.

Johanna said...

And who's peanut? That funny-looking guy from the Kaiser Chiefs who wears hats?

James Henry said...

What's That Wheaty Smell (AKA PEANUT'S BLOG)

West said...

"Now I know which bit everyone wants to hear more about, so here goes:"

Well, what about Superman Returns - is it worth a punt or not??

James Henry said...

Deffo - although I'd like more fighting and less wistful-staring in the next one please.

West said...

I'll see what I can do, Jimster.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I have a planet to save.....








...[rats, my cape's got stuck in the ruddy phone booth door. Bloody BT and their Kryptonite obsession......]

tracy said...

Oh you mean Pat's Banging Day Out? Arson Sam is pretty disturbing too.